My Shopping List
Braised Lamb Shanks with Port Wine Sauce
Courtesy of American Lamb Board
Serve With:Servings: 4
Rice or pasta.
Prep Time: 20 Min.
Cook Time: 2 1/2 Hr.
What you need:
(click + to add ingredients to your shopping list)
+ 4 American Lamb shanks
+ 4 cloves garlic, divided
+ 1 Tbsp. lemon pepper, divided
+ 1 tsp. salt
+ 2 Tbsp. olive oil
+ 1 medium onion, sliced in rings
+ 1 medium green peppers,thinly sliced
+ 28 oz. can whole tomatoes and juice, broken up
+ 1/2 c. dry red wine or chicken broth
+ 1 Tbsp. Worcestershire sauce
+ 2 bay leaf
+ 1 tsp. sugar
+ 1 tsp. dried leaf oregano, crushed
+ 1/2 tsp. ground coriander
+ 1/2 tsp. ground allspice
+ 1/2 tsp. paprika
What to do:
1. In 13 x 9-inch baking dish with meat rack, arrange shanks. Make slits in shank meat. Thinly slice 2 garlic cloves and insert into slits. Season all sides of shanks with 2 tsp. lemon pepper and salt. Roast in 325ºF oven for 1 hr.
2. In 2-quart saucepan with cover, heat oil. Sauté onion, bell pepper and 2 finely chopped garlic cloves for 3 to 4 min., stirring occasionally. Add tomatoes, wine or broth, Worcestershire sauce, bay leaves, sugar, oregano, 1 tsp. lemon pepper, coriander, allspice and paprika. Cover and simmer for 10 min.; set aside.
3. Remove cooked lamb shanks and rack from pan. Wipe out pan and return shanks to pan. Pour on sauce, cover and cook 1-1/2 to 2 additional hrs. or until meat is tender. Remove bay leaves. Serve with rice or pasta.
* Nutritional information does not include suggested side dishes
* Recipe provided by the American Lamb Board
Calories: 274; Total Fat: 9g; Cholesterol: 81mg; Total Carbs: 18g; Fiber: 4g; Protein: 27g; Sodium: 1332mg;