My Shopping List
Apple Lasagna with Fall Greens
Courtesy of U.S. Apple Association
Prep Time: 20 Min.
Cook Time: 60 Min.
What you need:
(click + to add ingredients to your shopping list)
+ 1 small onion, diced (about 4 Tbsp.)
+ 5 Tbsp. butter
+ 5 Tbsp. all-purpose flour
+ 1 c. apple cider
+ 1 c. vegetable broth
+ salt and pepper, to taste
+ 1/4 tsp. nutmeg, grated
+ 1/2 tsp. coriander, ground
+ 1/4 tsp. clove, ground
+ 2 tsp. thyme leaves
+ 1 c. applesauce
+ 1/2 lemon, juiced
+ 1/2 c. ricotta cheese
+ 1/2 c. whole milk mozzarella, shredded
+ 4 Tbsp. Parmesan cheese, freshly grated
+ 1 1/2 c. turnip greens or Swiss chard, cooked, drained, chopped, and seasoned with salt, pepper, and nutmeg
+ 12 lasagna noodles
What to do:
1. Cook 12 lasagna noodles in 4 quarts, lightly salted, boiling water until tender. Drain well and rinse with cold water; set aside.
1. In a heavy, non aluminum saucepan, melt butter over medium heat. Add onion; cook until clear, approximately three min.
2. Add flour, stir well; cook approximately three min., stirring constantly.
3. Add apple cider and vegetable broth; simmer.
4. Season with salt, pepper, spices, and thyme. Add applesauce and lemon juice. Continue to simmer for 10 to 15 min., stirring until medium thick consistency.
1. Preheat oven to 350ºF. Lightly oil an 8" x 11" glass or ceramic baking dish.
2. Place one layer of pasta on bottom, spread 1/3 of the sauce, and then a layer of greens, followed by a thin layer of cheese. Repeat; finishing with sauce and cheese on top (should have four layers total).
3. Cover with foil. Bake for 40 to 45 min. Remove foil and continue to bake for 15 to 20 min.
4. Remove; let cool for 15 min. before cutting.
Low sodium vegetable broth may be substituted.
Beaujolais, Shiraz/Syrah, Riesling/Rhine
Calories: 366; Total Fat: 15g; Cholesterol: 141mg; Total Carbs: 44g; Fiber: 3g; Protein: 3g; Sodium: 479mg;